[K12OSN] New server

Sudev Barar sudev at mantraonline.com
Thu May 13 00:25:35 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 17:47, John P. Conlon wrote:
> How do I get all of my users and their folders moved from my old server
> to my new server?
Depends on what is old server and what is new server. If both are
K12LTSP server then you will have to change IP address of old server to
something different from 192.168.0.254 but within 192.168.0.xxx range.
Next you will have to export /home directory in /etc/exports (normally
this involves removing the # from line already present in the file if
you are using standard k12LTSP install) Restart service network and nfs
to give effect to your changes, no need to re-boot for every change like
the wordly wise M$ product we all know.
On the new server make a directory say "makdir /home/oldserver"
Run "mount 192.168.0.xxx:/home /home/oldserver" You will see the old
directory when you "ls -l /home/oldserver" Copy the files by "cp -fR
/home/oldserver/* /home/." Unmount the old server "umount
192.168.0.xxx:/home" and shut it off!
Caution: This is assuming all UID and GID are perserved across both
server. Look at eralier posts on how to copy passwd, shadow and group
files in /etc directory.
HTH

--
Sudev Barar