[K12OSN] Mounting Novell 3.11 partition

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Thu May 13 05:25:53 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-12 at 20:31, Victor wrote:
> However, I cannot start the Novell 3.11 server due to a failure in the SCSI
> hard disk. Your suggestion seems that I have to access the Novell partition
> through network.  Actually, I use a PCI SCSI card to connect the SCSI hard
> disk locally and I need to mount the Novell partition through this SCSI hard
> disk.
> I tried this command: mount -t ncpfs -r /dev/sda2 /mnt/novell
> Then I was asked to input password but I don't know the password.  I don't
> know whether it is the admin password of the Novell partition or anything
> else.

What you need is nwfs, not ncpfs which is the network client.
However, this support never made it into an official kernel
and development was dropped apparently due to legal threats
from Novell against the author a few years ago. This would be
an interesting topic to raise again now that Novell has put
on their open-source friendly face.  Anyway, if you want to
work at this there are kernel patches at
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/jmerkey/nwfs/
that should work in a kernel about the same age (2.2.x)
and the mount command and filesystem utilities are at
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/fs/nwfs/
You'd probably have to set up a bootable partition
with some old RedHat version (probably 7.x) to run
a kernel that old.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com