[K12OSN] Watching the User's web traffic...

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Fri May 14 16:18:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 11:02, Matthew Ross wrote:

> We have a fancy HTTP filter for the web. It informs us when somebody
> somewhere is trying to access sites which are not allowed. Works great,
> except with our K12LTSP testbed: We can't tell which host is the one
> trying to reach blocked sites because they're all browsing from the
> K12LSTP server technically.

I have a cache/filter box running Squid, squidGuard and DansGuardian. My
LTSP server is running identd. I do the following to monitor web
traffic:

tail -f /var/log/dansguardian/access.log

I also wrote a Perl script to monitor Google searches.

The only problem I've run into is that identd on the LTSP box was
hogging the CPU when there was lots of surfing happening at once.
However, this problem *seems* to not be as bad since I moved the
cache/filter server to a much more powerful machine.

Which filter are you using?

--
george kocke <webmaster at vol.org>