[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri May 14 21:42:37 UTC 2004

I was just thinking that power had gone out at my house today while I
was gone, but, hmmm....That couldn't be it.
Anyway, I came home and my machine, which was running a KDE Screensaver
when I left, was showing a blank screen, except for the letters "LI" in
the top left corner.  I power cycled and it wouldn't boot.
It came up to the same blank screen with the LI.  Maybe there was a
power surge/hiccough.
I got out the boot floppy again and it came up fine (except that,
somehow the printer had been turned off so Kudzu came up.  The printer
being off made me think the power had gone out, but, if that were the
case, the machine would simply be off, too, right?)
I have no idea what happened.

All the same, why is my machine only booting with the floppy?
Do I need to do something to Lilo?  How would I go about diagnosing such
a problem?  I thought there was a gui lilo config tool, but I can't find
it.  Is my MBR hosed or something?
When I did the upgrade yesterday, from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1, I chose to update
Lilo during the install.

Everything is running fine, once I get her back up, so my work is not
presently hindered.  Nonetheless, I am concerned, all the same.

Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net
Freedom to Learn!