[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 14 21:54:53 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:42, anthony baldwin wrote:

> All the same, why is my machine only booting with the floppy?
> Do I need to do something to Lilo?  How would I go about diagnosing such
> a problem?  I thought there was a gui lilo config tool, but I can't find
> it.  Is my MBR hosed or something?
> When I did the upgrade yesterday, from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1, I chose to update
> Lilo during the install.

Run /sbin/lilo as root.   The update process should have done that
but maybe there was an error message hidden by the GUI.

Every time you change the kernel, initial ramdisk, or lilo.conf
you must run /sbin/lilo again so the change will work at boot-time.
Grub uses a more complicated boot process that is able to read
its own configuration during stages of the boot process so it
doesn't need this extra step.  If you hadn't had the boot floppy
you could still recover by using the install cd and entering
'linux rescue' at the boot prompt, then following the instructions
to 'chroot /mnt/sysinstall' later.  That would have you running
with your drives mounted so the /sbin/lilo would work.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com