[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

anthony baldwin anthonybaldwin at snet.net
Fri May 14 22:19:27 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:42, anthony baldwin wrote:
>

>>All the same, why is my machine only booting with the floppy?
>>Do I need to do something to Lilo?  How would I go about diagnosing such
>>a problem?  I thought there was a gui lilo config tool, but I can't find
>>it.  Is my MBR hosed or something?
>>When I did the upgrade yesterday, from 3.1.2 to 4.0.1, I chose to update
>>Lilo during the install.
>>

> Run /sbin/lilo as root.   The update process should have done that
> but maybe there was an error message hidden by the GUI.

I just checked Kdiskfree to take a look at my partition table (make sure
that /dev/hda1 was the /boot), and I've noticed that, in addition to
whatever is wrong with the MBR or boot loader, my swap partition seems
to have completely disappeared.
I tried to install grub, but apparently I am not translating the man
pages correctly.
I'm not sure how to recover my swap partition, either.
This is all rather odd...

--
Anthony Baldwin
http://www.School-Library.net