[K12OSN] lilo config? MBR hosery? boot issues...

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri May 14 22:41:26 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 17:19, anthony baldwin wrote:

> I just checked Kdiskfree to take a look at my partition table (make sure
> that /dev/hda1 was the /boot), and I've noticed that, in addition to
> whatever is wrong with the MBR or boot loader, my swap partition seems
> to have completely disappeared.

An upgrade shouldn't change partitions or mount points at all.  Does
/etc/fstab still mention a swap partition?

> I tried to install grub, but apparently I am not translating the man
> pages correctly.

If everything else is correct, running
grub-install
as root should do it all for you.  If you try it the hard way
you have to figure out the bsd-style partition name conventions.

> I'm not sure how to recover my swap partition, either.
> This is all rather odd...

I'd be inclined to back up what I could still get from /home and
re-install from scratch, but look at it with fdisk -l and
compare to /etc/fstab and the output of the 'mount' command
to see if you can figure out what happened to your partitions.

---
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com