[K12OSN] VNC (Virtual Network Computing) question

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Sat May 15 23:04:31 UTC 2004

norbert wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for trying to help, here is the info.
>
> vnc version =  vnc-4.0-0.beta4.3.2
> vnc command = vncviewer -via xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> strace =
> [norbert at krypton norbert]$ strace vncviewer -via 24.37.89.244
> [clip]
> socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 3
> bind(3, {sa_family=AF_INET, sin_port=htons(5599),
> sin_addr=inet_addr("0.0.0.0")}, 16) = 0
> close(3)                                = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++
>
> Again thanks for the help
>
> norbert
>
> strace (and I apologise for the length, however it is meaningless to
> me... :-( )
>
> ckjohnson at gwi.net wrote:
>
>> norbert wrote:
>>
>>> Yes SSH, FTP & HTTP all work fine, hence the intrigue .....

>> What vnc rpm do you have?
>> What does your vncviewer command line look like?
>> How about an strace of running vncviewer with the -via option?

I have reproduced your problem, and consequently know how to avoid it.
Obviously producing a seg fault instead of an error message is a bug in
vncviewer, so you might want to open a bugzilla entry at
bugzilla.redhat.com.

A proper command syntax is:
vncviewer localhost:0 -via 24.37.89.244

Or perhaps localhost:1, etc.  The problem is that you still need to say
where to connect the vncviewer to, and the -via argument only says where
to tunnel that connection through, not the remote endpoint of the tunnel.

BTW: if you need to use a different account at 24.37.89.244 you can also
do something like this:
vncviewer localhost:0 -via remoteuser at 24.37.89.244

Chris

   Chris Johnson, RHCE #807000448202021