[K12OSN] Student Printing

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Tue May 18 16:17:54 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 04:42, Martin Stevens wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 16:53, xyz xyz wrote:
> > Students have been printing large volumes of documents
> > and this is causing a problem from a cost perspective.
> > How do I go about limiting printing for individual
> > users??
> >

> Remove all the toner cartridges ?
>
> But seriously, is it one or two students that abuse the system or all of
> them.
>
> http://phpprintanalyze.sourceforge.net/
>
> Would be a start, so you can see who is using the most.

You could setup a group of people allowed to print in /etc/group (or
KDE's tool for it). Then set permissions on your print devices to that
group. Shouldn't that do the trick? I haven't actually done that with a
printer before so I'm not sure it would, but it works on things like USB
Sticks, etc and I've heard the same things works for peripheral devices.

JSR/