[K12OSN] Help me convince. :)

Caleb Wagnon cwagnon at redbugmail.k12.ar.us
Tue May 18 18:00:14 UTC 2004

Jason Neiffer said:
> I know it's simply fear and inexperience driving this but pointing that out
> won't help.  :)

Are you talking about implementing Linux in general or LTSP. If just terminal
services....I would mention to them that there is just one linux machine on
your lan to manage. Plus with its default design you can isolate it completely
from their network...all it would need is a single external connection from
the server to the outside world. They can't really count terminals as nodes
since there is only one machine that could be "hacked"....that's the server.
The server has a firewall in place by default that only allows ssh access on
the external interface.

With Novell pushing linux desktop solutions like no one else has before...you
can bet we'll see linux virii and worms pop up more and more. Right
now...virii in linux are hardly an issue. (Due to Linux's security model...I
don't forsee this ever being as big a problem as it is with Microsoft.) We've
already seen it in OSX recently...and it's unix. No software is invincible.
The more popular it gets the more you're gonna have to watch yourself just
like any other OS. That said...Linux *is* more secure by design than
Microsoft.

--
Caleb Wagnon MCP A+ CCNA
Technology Coordinator