[K12OSN] Help me convince. :)

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue May 18 19:18:43 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-18 at 12:51, Jason Neiffer wrote:
> I am moving districts in the fall and the district tech staff has already
> said that Linux is... too risky, too insecure, and too hard to manage.  Now,
> I can handle management chores myself (no problem!) but I was wondering if
> anyone would offered some brief words on security and the fact that you
> haven't had any virus problems, etc.
>
> I know it's simply fear and inexperience driving this but pointing that out
> won't help.  :)
>
> Thoughts?

It may be difficult to get across that you are not installing a highly
customized one-of-a-kind system.  From time to time you should expect
some problems with any complex operating system and set of applications
so it is a good idea to plan ahead about what you will have to do
to obtain and install the fixes.  In this case it is:

yum update

I'm not sure you explain that to people who don't already understand
it, though.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com