[K12OSN] Think to use open source????

Daniel Hedblom daniel.hedblom at skola.solleftea.se
Thu May 20 08:09:51 UTC 2004

Hi Huck!

While i agree that to much complexity is bad its also something i have
come to like when i amdin linux. The lack of a layer between the user and
the system makes it transparent if you only leearn how it works. As an
admin its a wonderful fealing to know you can repair something instead of
just reinstall it and hope for the best as in many other systems. I also
saves considerable amounts of time. The ability to tweak things is also
something good. What you ask for, an easy system for someone who dont want
to see the inners of a system exists. There are linux dists that is very
easy to use like Xandros or Lindows etc.

As for a server OS we have seen that an OS that is easy on the surface can
be hard as hell to manage in reality. Especially if you take one little
step off the guided path.

In fact Microsoft has been taking some notes about why linux is so nice in
a big network and is implementing a couple of things that is cloned from
*nix. The CLI is one example. Why should we move away from things
Microsoft has aknowledged as an advantage over Windows?