OT?? Re: [K12OSN] Loosing access to master password

Jack jackpal at cfl.rr.com
Fri May 21 01:25:17 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 20:54, Sudev Barar wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 18:33, Alan A Hodson wrote:
> > Hi gang
> >
> > The unthinkable happened. Somehow I lost the root password to a new
> > system, and I am facing the daunting task of having to reinstall
> > everyth
> Others have provided more than one method to achieve this.
> Now it makes me wonder what prevents a "innovative" user to do the same
> and control the server? Can these method be blocked?
> Of course the boot off knoppix (similar) can never be blocked.

Funny you mention this.  Its been awhile since I logged in as root.  I
have not stopped by the school for over 2 months. (Its just so darn
stable) I only maintain this in my spare time.  Anyway I forgot the root
password and the server is locked away in an upstairs office.  Luckly I
was able to remember it last second.

A simple boot from the resucue disk should be enough to fix a forgotton
password.  A reinstall should not be nessasary.

Jack