[K12OSN] IE requirement

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Sun May 23 23:02:55 UTC 2004

jam at mcquil.com wrote:

Why does mozilla's roaming profiles not work ?
<<

Ahh, Grasshopper, let me bring you enlightenment. You are assuming I'm
talking about a K12LTSP system, but unfortunately this school has not found
the one true way yet. They have Windows machines around the school, but
I've set up a Samba/Apache/TikiWiki server with Windows roaming profiles.

As you say, on a Unix system, the Mozilla profile - and indeed, profiles
for other applications, too - is stored in the user's home directory. But
Netscape 7.1 for Windows stores the profile in "C:\Program
Files\Netscape\Users\username", so of course, the profiles stay on the
machine, rather than going with the user's stuff to the Samba server
profile share.

I haven't looked at how Mozilla Firefox handles it - I have it installed on
this Win2K notebook, but haven't found its profile storage yet. If it
stores it in the user's profile, I'll be happy to switch from IE. But to be
honest, the tools available for a network roll-out of IE (the IEAK), plus
the way it works with roaming profiles, are way ahead of Netscape et al.
That really frosts me, but it's the way it is. . .

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]