[K12OSN] IE requirement

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon May 24 03:34:42 UTC 2004

Our district has also, sadly, taken the "IE-only" development tack, even
though we include Netscape 7 on our client Ghost images.  It looks to me
like what's happening is that CraptiveX controls are getting used.
Since no browsers besides Internet Exploder run CraptiveX controls, the
sites aren't viewed properly in them.  I've run into several situations
like that with a few Internet Web sites that do the IE-only thing.  When
I told Konqueror to pretend it was IE, these few sites didn't work
right, so I looked at the HTML source, and I saw 8.3 filenames in there
(codebase=<something>.cab) as well as stuff that looked kinda similar to
NT SIDs in format.  Looks to me like there's something hidden in a
CABinet file there on their server that wants to get D/L'd to the client
and executed.  I'm guessing that this code just doesn't even get D/L'd,
since the browser doesn't know what to do with it.  No error messages
come up, of course.

This said, there have been other sites that seem to check your browser
version and won't run if it isn't some version of IE, but actually do
work just fine if you use the Konqueror identity trick.  This was the
case for one credit union's WWW site (I don't remember which one; it's
been a bit).

Official Disclaimer:  I am not a professional software developer, be it
for Web apps or otherwise, but rather just a systems/network engineer.

--TP