[K12OSN] ssh key generation

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Wed May 26 15:24:14 UTC 2004

According to the ssh_config manual, there should/can be a
/etc/ssh/ssh_known_hosts file in which you can can place the destination
host public key. You could copy a clean .ssh/known_hosts file or you
could use something like "ssh-keyscan", which is designed to scan many
hosts and retrieve the public keys (aka generate your ssh_known_hosts
file).  Do "man ssh-keyscan" to check it out... in the examples section
it shows how to retrieve the rsa protocol 2 (it by default gets rsa1...
aka protocol 1 of ssh).

Doing this would keep you from having to create a new known_hosts file
for new users, and if you ever update or add a new host it will be
easy... just add/change it in ssh_known_hosts.  I have never tried this,
however it looks like it should work.

Henry Burroughs