[K12OSN] NFS Client for Windows

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed May 26 18:04:57 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-26 at 11:58, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> How would I go about telling my Windows box how to find a Samba mount
> over the internet from my linux server.  I would definitely be more
> interested in this, I just didn't think it was possible.

It depends on which version of windows and which patchlevel. The
easiest to try is to map \\ip_number\share or \\full.domain.name\share.
If the server is in the same DNS domain as the client you can
use \\server\share without adding the domain.  If it isn't and the
forms above don't won't work you can go to tcp properties, DNS
and add the server's domain to the search list.  Then using the
server name only should work (assuming it is in public DNS or is
resolved by the client's DNS server).  I don't have any idea
which windows versions require which form, but I know they don't
all work everywhere and if you have anything earlier than Win98SE
you'll have to fight with it.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com