[K12OSN] Test bug fix: verynice & games

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu May 27 19:37:26 UTC 2004

One of my schools noticed a design flaw in verynice that causes it to
ignore programs that are sgid (set group id). It is standard practice
for games to have the sgid bit set, to facilitate system-wide "top
scores" and such.

Of course games have the tendency to be resource hogs, exactly the type
of thing that verynice is supposed to mitigate. Gnuchess, in particular,
can quickly drag a fast server to its knees.

I wrote a patch that allows verynice to manage applications with the
sgid bit set. This is a pretty simple change, but since it could
potentially cause serious problems I would like people to test it for
quite a while before I merge it into K12LTSP:

ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/RPMS/verynice-1.1-1.k12ltsp.1.4.0.i386.rpm

This was compiled on a Red Hat 9 server, so it should run on K12LTSP 3.1
and later.

-Eric