[K12OSN] Server Clone

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Fri May 28 14:16:30 UTC 2004

dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb will copy the entire disk bit for bit, it
takes time and requires the hard drives to be both mounted in the same
machine. as long as you don't confuse your if (input file) and you of
(output file) you are fine. I've done it on a whole lab of XP machines
as I don't own Ghost and each 30G (IIRC) IDE drives took a couple hours.
It was a 2 day process on the 10 PCs. I used the Gentoo LiveCD. I don't
know how this would affect a running system's performance, but I'd
expect it wouldn't be a good idea.

I've heard of people managing to do this between 2 different machines,
but don't recall how it was done. Think it had something to do with ssh.
I'm sure it was even slower...

JSR/