[K12OSN] OpenMosix cluster

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 15:07:05 UTC 2004

I have some questions about the OpenMosix setup on the mesd.k12 site.
Since clustering would seem to hold a lot of promise for those on
limited budgets, I thought I'd post my questions to the list.

I set it up, and it seems to be working.  I've had a couple of funny
things happen, but I don't know if they are related to the OM setup,
or are just happening.  (Sometimes I've launched a program, and it
just seems to not launch; I'm also getting some kind of OpenOffice
error from one of the two workstations I set up.)

Question 1:  Is anyone else using this setup and is it working?  (The
README says it is still experiemental.)

Question 2:  I had to set it up with K12LTSP 4.0.1, since there seems
to be some kind of problem with the OM kernel and Fedora Core 2.
Anyone else experienced that?

Question 3:  Is there any good documentation on this kind of an
OpenMosix setup with LTSP, where the workstations themselves provide
processor/memory?  Does this kind of a cluster have a name?

Question 4:  If this really allows the local processors to handle the
load when you set them to do so, then is this a shortcut to local
processing when you have powerful client machines?

Question 5:  It would seem that the clustering would allow the running
of many more processes, but may not necessarily speed anything up--is
that accurate?  What are the primary gains from clustering in an LTSP
environment?  Where does it make sense to use?

Hope this thread proves useful,

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon