[K12OSN] OT but SME question

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Nov 1 20:34:53 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 13:53, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> Hello,  We have installed an SME-Server with the mail built in, but we can't
> get the darn dns working properly.  We can send mail locally, or out, but
> can't send from outside mail addresses to the SME domain addresses.  Does
> anyone use webmin for dns?   I'm using webmin for admining the dns box, and
> I think that this is what is wrong...

You need to add 'virtual domains' on the SME server for all of the
domains that it should accept mail for.  It wants to be the primary
DNS server for the name you assign to the box and doesn't cooperate
with anything else, so I usually assign the main machine name in a
subdomain (sme.sme.main.com instead of sme.main.com), then add
virtual domains for the real top-level domain(s).  That way it doesn't
confuse the other machines by acting as your main primary DNS but
will still accept mail when your real DNS server says it is the MX
for the domain.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com