[K12OSN] Web Site Authoring Suite

Scott Sherrill scott at hancock.k12.mi.us
Mon Nov 1 20:40:15 UTC 2004

>Hello all,
>    One of the many hats I wear at my school is that of Webmaster.
>In the past I've always hand-coded the site in a text-editor, and
>that works well for me.  But, I'd like to allow my teachers and
>student organizations to create and maintain their own Web pages.
>Since most of them don't have any idea how to code in HTML, I'm
>looking for something that will allow them to easily create and
>maintain their own pages with little or no access to the actual
>code.  I've looked at PHPWebsite, but I can't seem to make it work
>(I don't know how to get the MySQL database working properly).  Can
>anyone here recommend something quick, clean and easy?  Or,
>alternately can someone with experience offer some suggestions as to
>how to get PHPWebsite to play nice?  It looks like a fine solution,
>but my own ignorance is holding me back.  One again I await your
>great wisdom.

Mark -

We have been using phpwebsite for a couple months now and have been
happy.   We went with it for the same reason, let folks create and
edit pages without knowing any HTML.

  Where are you getting stuck sql wise?

These are the steps off the top of my head:

have mysql installed
create a db for phpwebsite in mysql
create permissions for phpwebsite to talk to it's db
run the command flush privileges

You also need to have the rpm php-mysql installed.  When you run the
installer for phpwebsite it will ask you for the db you created
earlier, and the account with permissions to create tables.  It's all
automated after that.

Where'd ya get and I will help the best I can?

Our site is: http://new.hancock.k12.mi.us if you want to take a look
and I am also using at http://teach.remc1.k12.mi.us (although it's
not as pretty ;-)  a yet to be officially released open source
package for teachers to create their own webpages.

Our local ISD is looking at mambo as an alternative for their
hosting.  http://mambo.sourceforge.net  I never looked at it, can't
comment on how it compares to phpwebsite but it's another option for
you.

Scott