[K12OSN] 1.4 mbps on 100BaseT! (OT)

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Tue Nov 2 00:39:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Carl Keil wrote:

> indicate 100BaseT connections.  And both computer and server have 10/100
> cards.  Some of the cabling I pulled through the wall myself and there are
> quite a few kinks in it, as I recall.  Also, the ends were untwisted about
> an inch, not the half inch recommended in the specs.  Could this be enough
> to cause such a massive drop in speed?  Should I pull the cat5 again, being
> more careful?  Or should I look for the culprit somewhere else?  (CPU, RAM,
> interference, disk speed, etc.)  Can someone identify for me the top 5
> likely candidates for bottlenecks in a transfer like this?  I'm worried also
> because my K12LTSP connections to the server are from the same cabling job.

Are the cards in full duplex?  (mii-tool or ethtool to find out)

Try an rsync or scp copy as well, that will either point to or eliminate
the samba server.

Bad network card setup (half vs full duplex)
Bad cabling could do it. in order of likelyhood.  (Bad termination,
interference, too sharp of bends)
Are all the components Cat-5 certified?
Bandwidth throttling in the switch (unlikely)

Can you test it with some known good equipment (say a pair of laptops
that have been tested on a single switch)?

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine