[K12OSN] 1.4 mbps on 100BaseT! (OT)

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Tue Nov 2 13:15:35 UTC 2004

Carl Keil wrote:
> Roughly 109 Megabytes took roughly 11 minutes.

I have the same problem with my home fileserver.  I think it may be the
non-managed switch I'm using.  I also get errors in ifconfig (frame
errors) and it is very frustrating.  I've tried different NICs,
different brands of NICs, different switches (although all unmanaged),
and different cables.

For the math part, here's a simple way to figure:

100mbit (100baseT) = 12 Megabytes of data per second (theoretical)
10mbit (10baseT) = 1.2 Megabytes of data per second (theoretical)

Now realize that collision & duplexing issues will lessen that, as will
normal operation.  What I notice in my home setup is REALLY good
transfer rates for 30 seconds or so, and then a 15-20 second stall.
Then 10-15 seconds of good transfer, then a stall.  It sorta limps along
from there during a file transfer, and I still don't know why.

I think that perhaps a duplex MISMATCH would cause such a problem,
especially if it tries to renegotiate the connection or something.  I am
going to try to bring a managed switch home, and force it to the proper
speed/duplex -- then use mii-tool to force the card to the proper
speed/duplex, and see if my problem goes away.  It's very frustrating
though.

Since it's my home fileserver, it means that if someone is streaming
Stargate episodes to the Xboxmediacenter, my kids can't watch their
Blues Clues specials streamed into the bedroom.  (All my DVDs are ripped
into avi files so they don't get scratched, thus the need for my fileserver)

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director