[K12OSN] Web Site Authoring Suite

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Tue Nov 2 14:18:01 UTC 2004

One simple solution would be to turn on the UserDir option in apache's
httpd.conf file.  This allows each user on the system to have a webpage
contained in ~/public_html.  Then have the students & teachers use Mozilla
Composer, which presumably is already installed, or NVu, to create the pages and
they just save them in their respective ~/public_html directories; this way they
don't have to fool around with ftping the files to another machine, etc.  The
downside is that you don't have an integrated system that ties everyone's pages
together in one spot.  Browsers would have to go to each user's webpage
(although it would be trivial to write a script that scans all the home
directories for a public_html/ directory and constructs a list of them and
presents the list on the web server's home page).  The upside to this approach
is you don't have the hassles of getting a complete integrated system off the
ground.  It's perhaps not as flashy looking, but you can get it up and running
within minutes (assuming Apache is installed--and if it isn't, it's pretty easy
to do so), which, if nothing else, might buy you some time to get, say,
phpwebsite working.

Petre