[K12OSN] Re: Broadcast message

Henry Burroughs hburroughs at HHPREP.ORG
Wed Nov 3 15:32:24 UTC 2004

I've almost got it operational!  I'm working on getting kwrited to
launch automatically under gnome (it keeps dying though... how
strange).  The key to adding startup programs to gnome is the file
/usr/share/gnome/default.session (that also where you can remove the
redhat-applet).  Then you can just use write or echo "My message" | wall
to broadcast messages on the server.

On the kwrited crashing under gnome, someone please try to run kwrited
in a console so you can see the debug output, and let me know if it is
dying with a "ICE default IO error handler doing an exit()...." and just
use the write command to send messages to that user.

Henry Burroughs
Technology Director
Hilton Head Preparatory School
www.hhprep.org