[K12OSN] Wish list summary verison 0.0.1

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 4 00:55:42 UTC 2004

Here are the initial wish-list items. Keep'em coming!

I've summarized items and put them in one of three categories:
1) stuff I'll do (K12LTSP projects), 2) stuff I'll help do (mostly
LTSP-core development), and 3) stuff I'll bug other people about
(Gnome/KDE/x.org/distro/etc enhancements).

-Eric

K12LTSP projects
----------------

* Separation of K12LTSP packages, installable on other distros (DONE in
v4.2.0)
* "reset" scripts (see
http://www.vol.org/vol/school/freedom/ltsp_scripts/)
* Default printer based on location (push upstream to LTSP?)
* Full DansGuardian integration

Upstream Projects
-----------------

LTSP-specific:

 * LDAP Authentication possibly w/Kerberos?
 * Local display manager
 * Local App Building/Packaging
 * Local app invocation
 * Local drive support (usb devices, floppy, cdrom)
 * Desktop shadowing (VNC, x11vnc, x110rbserver)
 * Security audit of the ltsp tree, file perms, ownership, tcpwrappers
 * Low bandwidth (NX, FreeNX)
 * Other non-x86 architectures for LTSP thin clients
   (PPC,Sparc,StrongArm)
 * Using SSH to tunnel the X traffic
 * Improved wireless client support
 * Bootable ISO (based on knoppix, thinstation, or pxes?)
 * Reliable sound/multi-media support
 * Wider support for client video cards
 * XSERVER=auto determine max screen/video resolution/depth

Distro/Gnome/KDE/etc:

 * Network browser (DONE in latest versions of KDE/Gnome?)
 * Simple server administration tools
 * Simple reporting tool on user activities
 * Application selection on the fly, administratively turn apps on/off
 * Kde/gnome menu editing
 * LDAP authentication, LDAP server setup
 * OpenMosix