[K12OSN] Wish list summary verison 0.0.1

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Thu Nov 4 13:44:34 UTC 2004

This is already possible with vncreflector....I know as I've done
it...here's the how-to  (it integrates with TeacherTool)
http://web.vcs.u52.k12.me.us/vncreflector/    file are in here.

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, November 04, 2004 at 8:19 AM +0000 wrote:
>Martin Woolley wrote:
>
>>On Thursday 04 Nov 2004 12:55 am, Eric Harrison wrote:
>>

>>>Here are the initial wish-list items. Keep'em coming!
>>>

>>One thing the teachers here would like is the ability to mirror one X
>session
>>onto a selcted number of other X sessions.  Let me explain.  The teacher
>runs
>>a thin client just as the classroom full of students do.  The teacher
>would
>>like to bring up say a ooimpress presentation on their session and have
>it
>>display on all of the students machines at the same time, so that the
>entrie
>>class can view the presentation. Currently they are using projects for
>this
>>but the teachers reckon they would get more attention if the lesson was
>>presented directly on the kids vdus.
>>
>>If this could be made to work, which it probably could but I have no
>idea of
>>how, then the reverse could be done, ie the teacher could monitor one or
>more
>>vdus and take control of them if necessary
>>

>I can second this request! I am subbing this week in the technology lab
>-- I really could have used something like this in the middle of a 24
>student lab class! I realized many of the kids didn't know how to select
>a section of a spreadsheet and turn it into a chart/graph. What a
>nightmare to try to explain this, unable to "show" them how to do it --
>magically if I could have launched the application and demonstrated on
>their monitors..... Wow! (Of course we can't afford an overhead
>projector in the lab. I've tried all week to find an optimal place to
>put a projector and a workstation, if we had one (borrowed a portable),
>and I decided you have to practically plan your lab around it.)
>
>And then the itty bitty kids. How do you teach kindergarten kids how to
>open openoffice and start a drawing without a visual? OMG!
>
>I know I had some big kids playing some games they weren't supposed to,
>dropping the apps down on the taskbar when I came around, however, I had
>too much else going on to get through the class to really worry about it
>until afterward. I don't know how teachers do this everyday!

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us