[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 4 18:02:26 UTC 2004

You can say all you want about reliability, open source, speed, and
flexibility - all true - but there is really only one reason that a
school should consider a switch from Microsoft to Linux - especially
K12LTSP.

$$$$MONEY$$$$

We don't have enough...................

So to make the littel moey that we have go as far as it can, we are
switching to Linux.  We have started the process by switching our
servers to Linux.  We now have Linux file servers in 3 of our 5
buildings, a Linux email server which we have had in place for 5 years,
Linux firewalls that handle our content filtering, and a K12LTSP lab at
our middle school media center.

We now have more file servers running Linux than we do running Windows.

The savings in client access licenses alone can run well into the
thousands - and that is for a small district.