[K12OSN] Why Linux?

David Tisdell penguintiz at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 18:57:39 UTC 2004

Hi Jason,
K12LTSP has been a god send for us. I needed to set up
some new labs and had no money to buy traditional
workstations. What I did have was a bunch of old
Pentium I machines lying around unused that were no
longer useful on our network. I converted them to
K12LTSP thin clients and voila. They were running
modern software and getting heavy use. There were some
glitches in the beginning as I had only run Linux as a
server not a workstation. Since that experiment, I
have created minilabs in classrooms with more of those
otherwise outdated machines and teachers are ecstatic.
Kids can do research on the net, write papers, do
projects etc. Good luck and I hope this helps. I never
could have done this with a traditional client server
approach.
Dave
Message: 4