[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Dimitri Yioulos dyioulos at firstbhph.com
Thu Nov 4 20:00:12 UTC 2004

Hi, Jason.

I'm afraid I can't give you first-hand insight as to the merits of
Linux/LTSP in an educational setting.  I do, however, use both in a business
setting.  I believe that the merits of Linux and LTSP are so compelling,
that I'm willing to build virtually my entire company's IT infrastructure
around it.

That having been said I, too, am a big fan of this list (very bright, very
dedicated people - I learn every day by listening in [and hope to contribute
where I can].  And, in reading the posts here, I can come up with some very
good reasons why your schools will want to give Linux/LTSP a go:

- as already mentioned, money.  I'd venture to guess that the folks here
have saved tens of thousands of (fill in your own currency here) by reusing
"retired" hardware or buying new equipment that doesn't require e.g. an HD
or lots of ram, etc., and, by using easily available, quality, free or
low-cost software.

- as you've seen, by being able to turn to bright, dedicated folks in the
education field who use Linux/LTSP, and are more than willing to help others
solve the problems we all encounter at one point or another.  But if your
people are more comfortable with it, there's always paid support from a
growing list of companies.

- it seems that the kids who use K12LTSP in their classrooms or labs love
it.  If you've used Linux yourself, you can certainly attest to the fact
that it's easy to use and provides ample tools with which to work.  Consider
that most kids have been exposed to the Windows and Apple operating systems
and programs already, and have mastered them.  It's no stretch to learn
Linux.

- listen to your colleagues as they discuss all of the wondrous ways in
which they've harnessed K12LTSP in their environments.  Look at the recent
"Wish List" posts to see what they have in mind for the future; astounding!
This points up one of the beauties of Linux - it's highly customizable.
Can't do that with a proprietary operating system.

There are plenty of Linux vs. Windows articles out there.  One I read
recently can be found in an issue of Linxworld magazine
(http://www.linuxworld.com/magazine/linuxworld_vol2issue11.pdf).  Perhaps
that will help bolster your cause.

I hope this helps.  Good luck in your efforts; I know you'll succeed.  And
there's plenty of help for you right here.

Dimitri