[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Joseph Morelock morelocj at canby.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 4 22:03:09 UTC 2004

In my state (Oregon), the department of education has implemented a
statewide student testing system that is completely web-based. Our
first year on the testing system, we ended up having to close the
library for nearly ten weeks so we could use their computer lab to
test, and we moved teachers and classes around to take over their labs
to complete the testing during the rest of the year. We, along with
many other districts, had no money to add more labs (for either the
hardware or people to maintain them). With the LTSP project, we were
able to build a 50 station lab with old/outdated hardware (only
purchasing a server). It is unfathomable what we would have done
without this option. We are in the process of adding another two labs
(since it is thin client/server we only have to admin one machine).

Oh, and one more thing... we have not restarted the server(s) for our
lab for more than two years (and counting....). That's what I call
"maintenance-free."

Joe