[K12OSN] cpu spikes killing me...

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Thu Nov 4 22:44:08 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-11-04 at 14:19 -0800, Huck wrote:
> Preface--- K12LTSP 4.1.0
> IceWM
>
> Logins which used to take seconds(3 days ago), now take minutes...
> and load firefox or open office or even a terminal now takes 30+ seconds...

Any time I see delays that are divisible by 30 seconds (30s, 1min,
etc),
the very first thing I check is that the DNS is functioning properly.

After that, I'd just start combing the logs for likely errors. Run
"dmesg",
look at /var/log/messages, run "ifconfig". Look for SCSI/disc/network
errors in particular.

-Eric