[K12OSN] Wish list

David Trask dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us
Fri Nov 5 00:27:39 UTC 2004

"Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
Thursday, November 4, 2004 at 6:19 PM +0000 wrote:
>There's a big push right now to make SME Server's LDAP integration a lot
>better.  So far, it looks like Derek Dresser is leading the charge in
>this area.  I'd sure like to send you a link to the devinfo list
>archive, but they just completed the physical move of contribs.org to
>the Lycoris ISP and apparently don't have the previous messages restored
>yet.

Actually I intro'd Derek to SME a couple years ago at a Linux seminar he
and I hosted.  It'd be AWESOME to get Samba/LDAP working on
SME....goodness how great life would be then! I can get NFS working OK so
exporting home dirs is possible, but it's the LDAP stuff that would make
life great.  I currently have a Samba/LDAP server, be SME is so slick and
easy to use.....I have a bunch of them doing everything from web server to
Dansguardian/proxy etc.  Abe Loveless has some awesome scripts at
www.tech-geeks.org (great how-to's as well) to make adding users in bulk
and adding machines a piece of cake.  Derek emailed me a couple of weeks
ago regarding the LDAP piece on SME....I told him I had given up for now,
but he should submit it to the dev list at contribs.org (which he did).
I'll be seeing Derek this weekend and am anxious to learn of any progress.
 Count me in for the testing and all!  Hopefully Derek and I will be able
to nail down a date for this years Summer Linux Conference at Gould
Academy so ya'll can come (referencing an earlier thread in Sept or Oct.
regarding a Northeast conference)....I'll keep ya'll posted.  I'm psyched
about this weekend and getting a lot of good ideas into play with LTSP and
K12LTSP.  I'm really interested in the NX stuff.  I also think packaging
the demo and supervision piece....aka TeacherTool, vncreflector, and
RunSpy....should be possible, but it's a matter of what folks set for the
priorities.  (and how much beer we consume) :-P

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Coordinator
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask at vcs.u52.k12.me.us