[K12OSN] Why Linux?

Jay Pfaffman pfaffman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 03:29:57 UTC 2004

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 12:35:43 -0500, Jason <tuxnician at execulink.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has some information, suggestions,
> presentations etc of the benefits of Linux/LTSP in the educational area.
>   I have some websites bookmarked but I'm looking for more personal
> experience from a technician, teacher etc point of view.

The feature that I think is most overlooked is that students get--for
the first time in schools--personal computers.  They sit
down--anywhere---and their files, bookmarks, backgrounds (with some
window managers) and so on are all there.  Computers didn't make
businesses more productive until everyone had computers.  Many kids
had their own file space in the days that Novell ruled the roost, but
since MS started charging per person (instead of simultaneous users)
kids haven't had their own file space.  Being able to sit down at a
computer and get right to work makes a big difference (or so it seems
from my Ivory Tower--where students do not that that luxury).

--
Jay Pfaffman                           <pfaffman at utk.edu>
Asst Professor of Instructional Technology, U. TN, Knoxville