[K12OSN] Performance issue and question

Huck dhuckaby at paasda.org
Fri Nov 5 17:54:30 UTC 2004

Dean Weiten wrote:

>However, the big "performance" issue is something that I see even if I log
>onto the server - which leads me to believe that it is not network related.
>
>That is, it takes an awfully long time for any given selected program to
>load.  In some cases, I can wait up to 5 or 10 seconds, just to load a shell
>(Xterm or whatever).  You can sometimes click on an item, and the disk isn't
>accessed for 3 to 5 seconds.
>
>I had assumed that second copies would load faster - but that is not the
>case.
>
>I switched to IceWM to make things faster in general.  However, IceWM
>doesn't have the rotating hourglass, and folks get very confused, thinking
>that nothing is happening.
>
>I am starting to think that it has something to do with Gnome, its menu
>structure, and the way it launches programs.  Further, I see that IceWM has
>pulled in the Gnome menu tree, so I was thinking that it could also be to
>blame there.

Dean,

Have you run 'top' while concurrently trying to run those apps...to see
what is happening to CPU usage and the like?
'top'  then 'c'  will sort by CPU usage

that's how I found out my /tmp directory was flooded with a miriade of
files and caused my current woes
suggestion was clear /tmp with rm -rf /tmp/* ... check the mails from
yesterday...I received a lot of responses for help.

--Huck