[K12OSN] Why Linux?

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Sat Nov 6 03:16:07 UTC 2004

tuxnician at execulink.com wrote:

> I guess I have somewhat of an advantage.  I'm an employee and a parent
> :)  My one child goes to one of the schools in our board.
>
> As a parent I can approach the board with a white paper documenting
> the benefits of using Linux and how well it has worked in out board
> before.   Thrown in how MS is throwing some curves and not running as
> smoothly as everyone expected.
>
> Weird though.  Hire some consultants and techs but don't listen to
> their suggestions.
>

> Terrell Prudé, Jr. wrote:
>
>> This goes directly to something that I've said before.  In order to
>> convince idiotic school boards like that one, you have to make them
>> *look bad* to someone that they think matters.  You can't do it
>> yourself; they'll just label you a troublemaker and fire you.
>> Rather, you get parents to do it.  If you're not in a rich school
>> district, it's easier.
>>
>> If the Board members don't feel like they're in *imminent threat* of
>> very bad PR to parents, then they'll likely take your five pound pile
>> of paper and have it become five pounds of shredded recycle-bin
>> fodder in short order, if they even bother to shred it.  What that
>> means is convincing some parents to come with you to the school board
>> meeting and bringing this up.  If you can get a local news reporter,
>> so much the better.  Your position has to be that of "a teacher
>> simply trying to give my kids access to top-notch technology without
>> us losing our shirts."  Remember that; you've got to come off like
>> Mr. Nice Guy Teacher-Type Who Cares Only About His Wonderful Kids;
>> newspapers and parents like that.  If you can get other teachers to
>> come with you, that's good, but I've discovered that parents are more
>> effective.

Hi,

Well just to make the case of how STUPID & obstinant the boards can get,
read on......

In our school board we have had an extremely successful linux lab
running for the past 14 months, but the board has thus far refused to
support the linux lab because, amongst other reasons, they will not
support another Operating System !
However they are now offering Sun Servers and "thin-clients" to the
schools preloaded with ONLY Mozilla as an alternative.

hmmm am I missing something here ? :-D

norbert