[K12OSN] high-end desktop machine as a server?

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Sun Nov 7 14:32:28 UTC 2004

This topic has been hit upon in some other threads, but I thought it was worthy of it's own.

Can anybody relate their experiences with using a newer desktop machine as their server?  For instance, something like a 2.4 GHz single processor with IDE hard drives.  How many clients can run on such a machine, using apps like OpenOffice, Mozilla, and possibly the GIMP?

The school in my town has a computer in each classroom that is for the teacher to use.  These are a year or two old.  I think it would be great to hook a bunch of thin clients to it so that the kids can get in on the action, but I'd like to know what to expect performance-wise before I approach the school about this.

-Rob