[K12OSN] Slightly OT

norbert bear2bar at netscape.net
Mon Nov 8 03:57:51 UTC 2004

tom.hoffman at gmail.com wrote:

>On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 20:00:22 -0500, norbert <bear2bar at netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know of a good schedulling & timetabling software for
>>schools. OSS preferred but options will be considered.
>>

>Actually, we've got money budgeted to write (or otherwise integrate)
>open source scheduling and timetabling components for the SchoolTool
>project (http://schooltool.org).  We've got some docs specifically
>related to timetabling here:
>http://www.schooltool.org/bounties/timetabling/
>
>Right now we're kicking around the requirements, which is going a bit
>slowly because we don't have enough educators who actually do
>scheduling and timetabling involved in the conversation.
>
>We should have something written by spring.  If you're in a hurry,
>there's also Tablix (http://tablix.sourceforge.net) and a couple
>others.  The tricky part is that people tend to write these things to
>handle specific contexts, but doing timetabling that will flexible
>enough to work in a wide variety of schools without being very
>complex, is difficult.
>
>In an unrelated note, we'll be finishing a new version of SchoolTool's
>shared calendaring system in a few weeks, which will be complete
>enough to start testing in actual schools.  We'll work with Eric to
>put together some RPM's that'll work with K12LTSP.
>
>Tom Hoffman
>Project Manager, SchoolTool

Hi Tom,

We've installed K12LTSP in schools & training centres, however I have a
requirement for a University department that is computer ILLITERATE !!!
....... they still transfer documents by printing them out .... mailing
them via internal mail & typing them in at destination although they
have an intranet !!!
The department needs SW that will allow them to schedule courses and
professors and locations with enough ease that they can make changes on
the fly and make student/staff timetables available. Ideally I would see
this as a web based application that can be shared, ie. when a class is
updated the change is reflected on all the other schedules.

If you want/need some guinea pigs please let me know also if there is
something available as a demo I'm very interested.

thanks
Norbert A. Bedoucha
CEO - XTlabs www.xtlabs.org