[K12OSN] Cozy "soak the taxpayer" cone of silence

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Tue Nov 9 15:02:01 UTC 2004

> "No child left behind!", this sounds more like no rich, lazy
> beaurocrat
> left behind to me.
>
> Someone of real authority ought to take a stand here, or
> leave it to the
> markets......hmmm..which is better/worse?

In recent elections in our town there was a proposal for a "Learning
Levy" to raise millions for the school district and bring them back on
track.  This would raise your homeowners taxes $150 per year for every
$100,000 your home was worth.  It didn't pass but was close.

This is where my moral dilemma lies.  On one hand I want to give money
to the schools and help fund my childs future in education (and others).
But on the other I feel that most schools are fiscally irresponsible.
If we pass a levy to help them out financially, they won't have a reason
to shape up.  But on the other hand if they haven't gotten it together
by now, they probably won't, and our kids are the ones who suffer for
their ignorance.

So my latest plan was to donate a K12LTSP lab to a new (very small) high
school that just started in town last year.  The board for this school
is comprised of all sorts of people Brian is saying need to take a
stand.  They have 20 students and I donated a lab of 20 computers, one
for every student with the only stipulation that they help us get a
front page article in the newspaper about how OSS is helping their
school and how other schools could save big if they follow suit.  I
figure this angle will carry some major weight since it won't be coming
from me but from respected community members.

We'll see what happens.  If things go well I'll post the article to the
forum for you guys.

---