[K12OSN] Damn, they are moving fast

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Wed Nov 10 01:50:51 UTC 2004

Well, there's another Fedora Core out, FC3, featuring new Gnome and KDE,
and other goodies like wireless tools and SE Linux, which is a major
security enhancement.  Any of you KDE fans that use KWallet, now there's
a Keyring application in Gnome which operates similarly, which give some
competition to KDE.  I still prefer using Kget integration with
Konqueror for mirror downloads, but you can do that fine in Gnome so it
looks like I'll be sticking with Gnome for awhile.  Firefox and
Thunderbird are also included.

Oh, yeah, another very cool and valuable feature, the email program that
looks just like Outlook called Evolution now has the ability to connect
directly to a Microsoft Exchange server and use all the groupware
functions on it, not that I've been able to test it, but it's got the
selection in "server type".  This is pretty major for introducing Linux
in large corporate environments and not short-changing those that use
Linux from participating in shared tasks, calendar items, and public
folders.

Not sure what this means, but FC3 partitioning looks very different,
didn't get screenshot, but I think it uses LVM by default.  Logical
Volume Management, hmmm.  Just started reading about it but don't know
the benefits yet.  Comments....?

Just loaded the new 64-bit version on the Opteron box, pretty sweet, but
still has similar look and feel.  Had it loaded now for just a day, so
I'm sure I'll find a few more things that could use improvement.

Other than that, no major breakthrough's in my Linux work, except maybe
for the squirrelmail plug ins, enabling full groupware functionality on
my webmail pages.