[K12OSN] multiple LTSP servers on the same network using XDMCP chooser

Dennis Daniels ddaniels at magic.fr
Thu Nov 11 15:38:14 UTC 2004

Hello
We've got a 35+ node network running on a dual xeon 2.4/2 Gigs of ram,
three 10/100 switches.

We want to add a second server (maybe third) server to the network to
improve performance and have students choose a server with under X
number of users.

Under FC2 using NFS to mount the home directories on a central server
has not worked with any of the window managers: XDM/ KDM or GDM.

We've looked over the docs and tried to fill in the blanks in the where
appropriate:
http://www.k12ltsp.org/phpwiki/index.php/RecentEdits?days=7

We could really use some help here though. Buying bigger iron is not an
option. We built the network on the shoestrings I found in my empty
pockets. We could really use some help with the XDMCP chooser...

We backed out to FC1 but still had problems with the NFS mounting home
directories and XDMCP playing nice...

Does anyone on this list have FC2 and XDMCP chooser  running multiple
LTSP servers and a central mounted NFS /home? If yes, could you post the
critical pieces of the setup process and samples from your history
commands? We're in a real bind here and could use a success story! :)

many thanks!

Dennis