[K12OSN] skolelinux

Trond Mæhlum trondrm at online.no
Thu Nov 11 17:50:02 UTC 2004

tor, 11.11.2004 kl. 04.15 skrev David Trask:
> "Support list for opensource software in schools." <k12osn at redhat.com> on
> Wednesday, November 10, 2004 at 6:56 PM +0000 wrote:
> >Someone mentioned it had ldap/samba and a user management GUI tool
> >that worked out of the box.  Is that correct, and can you tell if
> >it would likely work to run one of these to create the accounts
> >and home directories which you would NFS mount from k12ltsp servers
> >configured to authenticate against ldap?  Or - would the ldap server
> >configuration be easy to port?
>
> According to Ragnar Wisloff of Norway and SkoleLinux.....that's what many
> schools in his area do....they use a SkoleLinux server running Samba/LDAP
> and then set up the K12LTSP servers behind it and auth to it.  Works great
> according to him.  SkoleLinux also uses LTSP.

I suspect that Ragnar is talking about my setup. I like using Skolelinux
as a fileserver for the ldap/samba thing. It also has some other nice
services which "work out of the box", like dns, backup, proxy with
squidguard and other things.

The thing I dislike about Skolelinux is that it's based on Debian Woody
= old software like KDE 2.2.2... It's also a timeconsuming job to
integrate it into a network which isn't the default 192.168.0. net. It
also comes without Xvnc configured as opposed to K12LTSP.

Enter K12LTSP. I use K12LTSP 4.0.1 for all my LTSP servers, The all use
LDAP authentication against the Skolelinux server. It also NFS mounts
the users homedirs. I tried K12LTSP 4.1, but could not make the ldap
authentication work. Has FC2 introduced something new there?

In fact Ragnar Wisloff did most of the job configuring our Skolelinux
servers, so he should know that our setup works well.

I have a Skolelinux server with all the services and 5 LTSP servers
based on K12LTSP using Skolelinux as ldap/samba/home/dns/proxy/backup...

Regards

Trond Mæhlum