[K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Jim Hays haysja at sages.us
Thu Nov 11 20:21:50 UTC 2004

I just gave a presentation on K12LTSP at a statewide tech conference on Tuesday.
 I ran the slide show from a terminal - on purpose.  Don't make the same mistake
that I did.  I had the slide show on a CD.  I put the CD in the server's CD
drive, opend the CD drive from the terminal, and away I went.

The slide show was SLOW - not because I ran it from a terminal but because I ran
is from the CD.

Be sure to copy the presentation to the server's HD before you run it.........

(Fortunately we demonstrated applications after the slide show was over and
showed how fast it really is.......)

Quoting Bill Bardon <bill at computassist.com>:

> Wow, thanks to everyone for the great ideas!  This is very helpful.
>
> Unfortunately, I won't be able to get into the lab ahead of time to
> configure a few workstations. I'm hoping I don't run into major
> configuration problems, but have to leave it to chance somewhat. The
> clients are clone machines with SiS chipsets from the 2000 era - how
> likely is it to get a good auto config with these?
>
> The idea of running a slide show on the client during the demo is a good
> one. I'll also create sample OOo writer and calc documents, and maybe
> have some MS Word and Excel docs handy to demo importing compatibility.
>
> Since they have a keyboarding class I'll show Ktouch, and since they are
> a Christian school I'll have GnomeSword loaded and ready. StarLogo will
> be good for beginning programming. Lots to do!  I need to get acquainted
> with the redhat user manager and get all this stuff set up.
>

> --
> Bill Bardon
> COMPUTASSIST
> Omaha, Nebraska