[K12OSN] NFS - what does it give me

Jim Wildman jim at rossberry.com
Thu Nov 11 21:06:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004, Gary Frederick wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I am thinking of turning off nfs. We use Samba and WebDAV (and a usb
> drive as of a few weeks ago :-) ) on our small linux and XP network.
>
> What am I missing by not using nfs?

The headaches of managing another file sharing/serving solution :-).
Seriously, NFS is most useful in a pure Unix world.  I think it predates
SMB File Sharing (Samba) by a number of years.  If you are serving
Windows clients, then Samba should be used.  If it was pure Unix
clients, then NFS may be easier since it will use the native Unix
authentication/user id's, etc instead of maintaining the separate
password file that Samba uses.

I don't think that even XP includes an NFS client by default.

Jim Wildman, CISSP, RHCE       jim at rossberry.com http://www.rossberry.com
Thomas Paine