[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Joseph Bishay joseph.bishay at utoronto.ca
Thu Nov 11 21:26:29 UTC 2004

Hello,

> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:27:49 -0600
> From: Jim Hays <haysja at sages.us>
> Subject: Re: [K12OSN] K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?
>
> Les makes a good point here.  I was at a conference yesterday and one
> of the sessions was an hour long session showing people how to use the
> new MS program to run automatic updates.  The session was long and the
> process was fairly tedious - running a separate server to store the
> updates and then "touching" all of the clients to tell them to get
> their updates from the new server and then making sure that the
> updates get run.
>
> In K12LTSP, ---->  yum update  (Doesn't take an hour to teach someone
> that.......)
>
> One of the HUGE advantages of K12LTSP.

This may be a silly question, but I've never used the update feature
in K12LTSP.  I see I could use synaptic or yum update, but my
question is: When would I do so? Is there a need to run yum
update/synaptic?  If everything is running smoothly, what am I going
to be upgrading? I realize that in MS updates are often to correct
security issues, but I thought Linux was more immune to those sort of
lapses. Why else would I want to run it?

Thanks,
Joseph