[K12OSN] Re: K12LTSP demo - any suggestions?

Rob Owens robowens at myway.com
Fri Nov 12 11:18:53 UTC 2004

I can tell you how it is with Mandrake.  There are 3 types of updates:  security, bugfix, and general product updates.

Security updates aren't necessarily similar to Microsoft's security updates.  Most security updates I've seen so far are for a specific application, and not for the operating system itself.  Furthermore, the security bug is usually something under certain circumstances could allow someone on the local network to see somebody else's files (if they bothered to try to look at them) or gain some other permissions or abilities that they shouldn't normally have.  In the couple of years that I've been running Mandrake Linux, I don't really recall seeing any bugs that would have allowed a remote hacker access to my machine.

I set up a cron job to perform updates automatically every night on my machine.  It saves a log file to my home directory so that I can check to make sure everything went through ok.  I suppose I am running the risk that someday an update will run that will screw up my system (possibly because of a poorly coded package update), but I will have a record of what has been done and I can uninstall the offending package and reinstall the older version if necessary.

-Rob