[K12OSN] Good News

John Baillie jbaillie at stmarys-school.org
Sat Nov 13 17:26:04 UTC 2004

Our school is located 20 miles from the Kennedy Space Center.

Last Thursday our principal came by our lab with two people from NASA
who are surveying local schools to get an idea of what kind technology
is being used. (In our case 160 windows 98 PCs and the K12LTSP lab).

They are part of a project that is in the initial planning stages of
providing some sort of launch monitoring application to schools.

They were impressed with our K12LTSP LAB.

Shortly after they left, the principal came in and said she wants to
start upgrading the technology in the classrooms. I explained that the
most cost effective option and IMHO best option was to add another
K12LTSP server and start putting the same desktop in the classrooms as
we have in the lab. She gave me the go ahead.

Here's how it shook out:
Proof of concept using 3 classrooms as a testbed.
Install additional K12LTSP Server
Install a windows 2003 Terminal server.
Convert the 7 windows 98 PCs in each class to terminals.
Provide access to Advantage Learning Systems applications via rdesktop
and 2003 Terminal Server.
Add two new XP PCs to each room in order to provide access to windows
based multimedia applications (edutainment games, etc.)
Replace hodge podge assortment of monitors with 15" LCD's

We are nearing our three year mark for K12LTSP and this is proof
positive it has been a success. The three pilot teachers are very
enthusiastic about expanding the lab into their classrooms. If I can
provide grade quick / edline via rdesktop I believe these teachers will
use the Linux desktop on their workstations also. This is a big vote of
confidence.

John