[K12OSN] ISOs for DVDs

dale dalen at czexan.net
Sat Nov 13 20:03:35 UTC 2004

Henning Wangerin wrote:
> On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 20:27, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 12:54, Henning Wangerin wrote:
>>

>>>Yah, but on a 128/256 or 128/512 that's not much fun!
>>
>>A handy trick is to have a laptop where you download
>>the iso images into a directory that is exported via
>

> Have been thinking of such a  solution, but haven't access to a laptop
> at the moment ;-)
>
> - but have a nice very small desktop (11x30x35cm HxWxD) så it's getting
> very close to portable!
> - and it's actually also my home K12LTSP-server.
>

>>nfs.  Then you can download over your fastest connection
>>and take it wherever you need it. Then you just need
>>the 1st CD (which you should keep around for a 'rescue'
>>boot anyway).   Answer the boot prompt with 'linux askmethod',
>>pick nfs image, and point it to the directory where you
>>put the images.
>

> How do I set that up? Is just placing the isos at a shared location, or
> do I need to mount the isos to subdirs in the shared location?

You could also try putting an old 10GB or so hard drive in a usb
enclosure (about $40) and copy the images to the usb drive.  Then plug
the usb drive into the home system, boot and install from usb mounted
share.  It's cheaper than a laptop, very small, and portable.  You could
probably also keep updates on the usb drive to shorten the update time
when users are on dialup or slow broadband.