[K12OSN] $5,000 cluster server powers 120 clients?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Mon Nov 15 15:11:57 UTC 2004

Depends on what you mean by 'cluster'.  If you're talking about using OpenMosix
to cluster them, then no, I don't think it's a good approach.  We had some
discussion of this a while back, and the problem is getting applications to
migrate from one server to another as needed; in short, it doesn't work with
things like Mozilla & OpenOffice.

The approach that I think makes the most sense is to use one or two servers for
just providing the KDE/Gnome/IceWM environment, and then dedicating the other
servers to one or two applications, ultimately with one app per server.  That
way, pigs like OOo don't affect the performance of lighter faster apps.  Also,
to upgrade an app, you just get it going on a new server, once it's ready, you
change the link on the users' menus/desktops, and there's no downtime.

The proof-in-the-pudding for this approach is Largo, FL, where they use this
exact approach.  Doing so allows them to support 240 users with a couple of
900mhz terminal servers.  They found they could get the per-user memory
consumption down to about 13M and I think that was using KDE. (They don't use
LTSP, preferring to roll their own terminal servers.)  Also, with this approach,
you spend money only on the apps that need a lot of resources, e.g. more memory
for those apps that need it.  It also scales up better because for each
additional app that you add, you just add another server.  But, if money is
tight, and, say, you can only afford four app servers but you have 16 apps, you
can put multiple apps on each server, for an average of 4 apps/server, and then
next year get just one more server, move some apps to that new server (probably
a newer version of the app in question), for an average of 3.2 apps/server and
repeat in the years after that.  In some cases those servers may not even need
to be that big, depending on the apps.

Petre